Sponsor-Only Oversight of a Defined Licence Physician
Under the Medical Act (2011)1 and Medical Practitioners Regulations2, physicians granted a Defined licence (DL) under the Conditional Register are required to have a Sponsor and Supervisor for the duration of that licence. Physicians issued a Defined licence or an Academic licence prior to the enactment of the Medical Act (2011) on January 1, 2015, may have been permitted, in some circumstances, to practice under Sponsor-only Oversight in accordance with the College-Directed Supervision Framework – Responsibilities and Outline by Level 3.
This policy outlines the criteria for a physician on a Defined licence to maintain their practice under Sponsor-only Oversight.
For a physician to practice under Sponsor-only Oversight, the Defined licence holder must demonstrate:
- they have the support of their Sponsor; and
- the most recent issuance of their Defined licence is prior to January 1, 2015 or the terms of their licence were previously approved by the Registrar.
Requirements to Maintain Sponsor-only Oversight Status
- The physician’s Sponsor reaffirms support for continuation of sponsorship at the level of Sponsor-only Oversight at the time of annual licensing renewal, through the completion of the Annual Sponsorship Renewal Evaluation4.
- The physician’s practice is deemed satisfactory to the Registrar and is based on consideration of the following:
- Annual Sponsorship Renewal Evaluations4;
- Past Supervision and Sponsorship reports;
- Investigations and disciplinary matters in this or another jurisdiction;
- Practice assessments and audits, excepting those protected under the Medical Act;
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and practice improvement;
- Any other matters relevant to the physician’s capacity, competence, and character.
- A change in Sponsor-only Oversight status to a higher level of supervision may be (re)imposed at any time according to the provisions of the College policy Supervision Levels for College-Directed Supervision. 5
- A physician granted Sponsor-only Oversight under this policy may be considered as a Supervisor for another Defined licensee, as per the College policy Approval of Supervisors for College-Directed Supervision. 6
- Medical Act 2011
- Medical Practitioners Regulations
- College-Directed Supervision Framework – Responsibilities and Outline by Level
- Annual Sponsorship Evaluation
- Supervision Levels for College-Directed Supervision
- Approval of Supervisors for College-Directed Supervision
Approved By: Registration Policy Committee; Council
Approval Date: September 3, 2020; October 9, 2020
Review Date: September 2024