Sponsor-Only Oversight of a Defined Licence Physician
Under the Medical Act (2011) and Medical Practitioners Regulations, physicians granted a Defined licence (DL) on the Conditional Register are required to have a Sponsor and Supervisor for the duration of that licence.
Under appropriate circumstances, a Defined licensee may be permitted to practice under Sponsor-only oversight.
A Defined licence holder may be permitted to practise under Sponsor-only oversight, with the support of their sponsor. In this case, the sponsor would also act as the supervisor providing an annual supervision report. To be considered for sponsor-only oversight, one or more of the following criteria must be met:
- The physician’s Defined licence for Nova Scotia was first issued prior to January 1, 2015; and
- The physician has continuously held a Defined licence for at least 60 months, further defined as cumulative gaps in licensure being fewer than 90 days; or
- The physician has achieved certification through their certifying body.
Requirements to maintain Sponsor-only Oversight status
The physician’s practice is judged satisfactory to the Registrar, reviewed at least annually, and based on a consideration of the following:
- Past supervision and sponsorship reports
- Investigations and disciplinary matters in this or another jurisdiction
- Practice assessments and audits, expecting those protected under the Medical Act
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and practice improvement
- Any other matters relevant to the physician’s capacity, competence, and character
The physician’s Sponsor reaffirms support for sponsor-only oversight at the time of annual licensing renewal.
- Notwithstanding the above, supervision may be (re)imposed at any time according to the provisions of the College policy Supervision Levels for Defined Licensees.
- Defined licence term, Defined licence with academic standing, fellowship and locum licensure will not be considered under the time-related provisions (1 and 2 above) of this policy.
- Supervision status under this and related policy may be appealed under the provisions of the Medical Act and Medical Practitioners Regulations as a condition of licensure.
- Supervision imposed at the request of or with the agreement of the Defined licence physician’s sponsor will be considered a requirement of sponsorship and therefore not subject to appeal.
- A physician granted Sponsor-only oversight under this policy may be considered as a Supervisor for another Defined licensee.
Registration Policy Committee, Executive Committee
July 17, 2019
July 24, 2019
July 9, 2020