Renewing your Licence
Annual renewal of your medical licence and corporation permit opens online November 1st. The renewal process includes payment of registration fees and answering the annual registration renewal questions. To avoid late fees, please submit your renewal before November 30.
Please be aware that applications received after December 9th may not be processed on time. If your renewal is not processed, you will lose your licence to practise medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions Expand All
Yes, however you will have to pay late fees. Renewing your licence late may also affect your ability to practise the following January. Pay attention to these important dates:
- December 1 – We charge late fees beginning on this date.
- December 10 – We cannot guarantee that your renewal application will be processed on time. This means you may not be able to practise medicine on January 1.
- December 31 – the final date on which renewals MUST be completed.
If your licence is NOT renewed by December 31, it will expire. You cannot practise medicine with an expired licence. As a result, the following may happen:
- You will NOT be allowed to practise medicine in Nova Scotia.
- You may lose your hospital privileges.
- You may NOT be paid through MSI or other insurers.
Contact us if you have missed your renewal.
We recommend that you renew your licence on a Windows laptop or desktop computer as the renewal page was developed for Windows Internet Explorer. It may not work as well with other internet browsers.
We do NOT recommend renewing on a mobile device or tablet.
You need the email address that we have on file for you to do these things:
- log in to Member Services
- receive confirmation of your online payment
- receive confirmation that we have received your application for renewal
- receive confirmation of your licence
You need to include Certificates of Professional Conduct from all jurisdictions where you have practised within the last 12 months.
- We will send you a reminder in October.
- Make sure you request the certificate by November 1 as processing times vary.
- Each jurisdiction charges a fee for this certificate.
- Your licence will NOT be renewed until our registration department reviews all applicable certificates.
You need proof of professional liability insurance:
- If you are insured by the Canadian Medical Protective Association, you need your policy number.
- If you are insured by another company, you need the name and address of that company and your policy number.
If you participate in the Maintenance of Proficiency program (Mainpro+), you will need these things:
- your ID number as issued by the College of Family Physicians of Canada
- your Mainpro+ start/stop cycle dates
If you participate in the Maintenance of Certification program (MOC), you will need these things:
- your ID number as issued by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- your MOC start/stop cycle dates
Annual renewal fee: $1,950.00
Late fee: $487.50
Reinstatement fee: $500.00
- November 1 through November 30, pay $1,950.
- December 1 through December 31, pay $2,437.50 (annual renewal fee + the late fee).
- After December 31, pay $2,937.50 (annual renewal fee + the late fee + the reinstatement fee).
Follow these steps to renew your licence:
- On our website, go to Member Services.
- Enter your email address in the space provided.
- Enter your password. Note, passwords are case-sensitive.
- Go to Renew Your Licence and follow the instructions. You can save your progress at any time and return to the form using the Save and Pay Later button. Your progress will be saved until the renewal deadline of December 31.
- Pay the fee using the same online renewal form. You must pay using Visa, Mastercard, Visa Debit, or online banking from one of these banks:
Note: We do NOT accept payment by mail or in person at our offices. If your payment does NOT go through, contact your bank or credit card company.
If you do not have access to a computer to submit your renewal, we will provide you with a secure computer and help with the renewal process at our offices. We offer this service from November 1 to the third Thursday in December, Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm.
Call toll free 1-877-282-7767 or 902-482-5825 Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm.
We offer after hours assistance from 5 pm to 7 pm from November 1 to December 1.
Once we have approved and renewed your licence and received payment, we will email you a confirmation of licensure and a receipt.
Note: Keep this confirmation of licensure for privileging and tax purposes.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE December 10 to let us know that you will not be renewing your licence. Your licence may only be surrendered and your membership ended after you notify the registrar in writing and you obtain the registrar’s consent.
Note: If you are planning on not renewing we strongly recommend that you send this request well in advance of the renewal deadline.
Should someone file a complaint about you after you have discontinued your licence, you will still be subject to our complaints procedure.