Internationally Trained Physicians
The Medical Act requires physicians trained outside of Canada to practise under a Defined licence and undergo supervision. Physicians must meet the requirements and conditions required to obtain a Defined licence.
Pathway to Long-Term Licensure for Physicians Trained Outside of Canada
Once a physician obtains a Defined licence, the pathway to long-term licensure will:
- provide a comprehensive orientation program for physicians;
- reduce the required time physicians on a Defined licence must practise under supervision; and
- focus on demonstrated competency rather than certification.
The College’s revised approach has been informed by:
- a review of the data from the last six years of working with Sponsors and Supervisors overseeing the licensing pathway of physicians with a Defined licence seeking Full licensure;
- listening to physicians and stakeholders working with physicians on a Defined licence;
- a review of licensing best practices in other Canadian jurisdictions to determine what elements would effectively apply to the Nova Scotia context; and
- the College’s commitment to support the recruitment of physicians.