Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
The College recognizes that continuing professional development (CPD) plays a key role in ongoing practice improvement for physicians.
The Medical Act mandates that all licensed physicians participate in a program of continuing professional development through:
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) MAINPRO Program or
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RSPSC) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program.
All physicians who wish to obtain or renew their Nova Scotia medical licence are required to:
- provide evidence of their participation in the MAINPRO or MOC programs by completing the CPD Program Information Form (PDF – 2 pages);
- adhere with the minimum yearly requirements of their program; and
- comply with the cycle requirements of their program.
The College monitors mandatory physician enrollment and compliance in the MAINPRO and MOC CPD programs.
Not Currently Enrolled?
- Contact the College of Family Physicians of Canada or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada to enroll
- Upon enrolling, please email the CPD Program Information Form (PDF – 2 pages) to the College at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Physicians may be exempt from the College’s CPD requirements if they are:
Non-resident Nova Scotia licencees who:
- live and work in the United States; and
- participate in one of the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) programs of a board that is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Such member boards include for example; the American Board of Internal Medicine or the American Board of Family Medicine.
- live and work outside of North America.
If you are doing fellowship training while holding a Defined or Academic Licence, it is not mandatory to enroll in MAINPRO OR MOC.
For more information please contact the College at email@example.com.