Closing Your Practice
These are some things you need to think about when you decide to close your medical practice:
- How do you plan to transfer your medical records and where will they be stored?
- How do you plan to transfer patient care?
- How will you tell your patients and staff that that you plan to close your practice?
You must contact our registration department and tell us, in writing, the date you plan to close your practice. You must tell us where your medical records will be stored and how patients can access their records.
Call toll-free 1-877-282-7767
Standards and guidelines for practice closure
Many organizations, including ours, have standards and guidelines you must follow when you decide to close your practice, they are listed below:
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia
- Guidelines on Responsibilities when Permanently or Temporarily Closing a Medical Practice (PDF – 6 pages – 338 KB)
- Professional Standard Regarding Medical Records (PDF – 5 pages – 173 KB)
Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
- Considerations when leaving a medical practice
- Winding down your practice
- A matter of records: Retention and transfer of clinical records