Closing Your Practice
These are some things you need to think about when you decide to close your medical practice:
- How do you plan to transfer your medical records and where will they be stored?
- How do you plan to transfer patient care?
- How will you tell your patients and staff that that you plan to close your practice?
Once you have decided that you want to close your medical practice, you must notify us with the following information:
- the date you plan to close your practice;
- where your medical records will be stored; and
- how patients can access their records.
- Fill out the Practice Closure and/or Discontinuance of Licence Form (PDF)
- Send your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 902-422-5035
Standards and Guidelines for Practice Closure
Many organizations, including ours, have standards and guidelines you must follow when you decide to close your practice, they are listed below:
- Guidelines on Responsibilities when Permanently or Temporarily Closing a Medical Practice (PDF – 6 pages – 338 KB)
- Professional Standard Regarding Medical Records (PDF – 5 pages – 173 KB)
Doctors Nova Scotia
Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
- Closing or leaving a practice: Tips for primary care physicians
- A matter of records: Retention and transfer of clinical records