Medical Corporation Permit
If you intend to practise, or you are practising medicine under a corporation, you need a medical corporation permit.
Medical Corporation Permits are valid from January through December and must be renewed every year. The cost is $150 the first time you apply.
We recommend that you get legal and tax advice before you set up your corporation. Lawyers and accountants can explain the conditions and requirements that will be placed on your corporation under the Medical Professional Corporations Act.
Set up a medical corporation and apply for a permit
To set up a medical corporation you must:
- Hire a lawyer.
- Contact the Registry of Joint Stock Companies to set up your corporation. You must choose a name for your corporation at this time.
- Contact us for written approval of the name you have chosen for your corporation:
- Fax: 902-422-5035
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
On approval of the College, complete your application with the Registry of Joint Stock Companies.
On approval of your application by the Registry of Joint Stock Companies, you or your lawyer must:
- complete the Application for a Permit (Form A) (PDF – 5 pages – 169 KB);
- affix your corporate seal to the application;
- send us the original application for approval – we do not accept faxed copies.
- Mail to: Suite 400 – 175 Western Parkway; Bedford, NS; B4B 0V1.
When the College approves your medical corporation permit, we send it to your lawyer/law firm. If you did not use a law firm, we will send the permit to the address you provided on Form A under Registered Office of the Corporation.
Note: You need a permit from us to practise medicine within your corporation. If you do not intend to practise medicine under your corporation, you do not need such a permit.
Renew your medical corporation permit
The medical director of your medical corporation must renew the Medical Corporation Permit every year. Permits are valid from January through December.
Renewal of your medical corporation permit is a separate process from your licence renewal. Both occur annually in November.
If you do not renew your permit by December 31, it will expire and you will not be able to practise medicine under your corporation. Physicians whose practice income flows through the corporation could suffer tax consequences if the Medical Corporation Permit expires.
Steps to Renew
- Visit the College’s Member Services.
- Log in with your email address and password.
- Go to Renew Your Permit to Practise within a Corporation and follow the instructions. You can save your progress at any time and return to the form using the Save and Pay Later. Your progress will be saved until the renewal deadline of December 31.
- Pay the fee using the same online renewal form.
For assistance, email email@example.com.
Corporate Permit Renewal Fees
|Dates||November 1-30||December 1 – 31||January|
Discontinue your medical corporation permit
If you have decided that you no longer want to operate a medical corporation in Nova Scotia, you must contact the College with the following information:
- your name;
- your licence number;
- the date on which you will no longer need the corporation permit; and
- the reason you no longer need the permit, such as retirement, leaving Nova Scotia, leave of absence, etc.
Call: 902-422-5823 or toll-free: 1-877-282-7767