Defined Licence – Term
As outlined in the Medical Practitioners Regulations1 a Defined licence – Term is an exceptional and time-limited form of conditional licensure, which remains in effect until the end of the licensing year or an earlier expiry date as outlined in the Licensing Agreement.
This policy sets out the provisions of a Defined licence – Term issued for the primary purpose of providing temporary services in Nova Scotia.
In addition to the criteria outlined in Section 39-45 of the Regulations, a Defined licence – Term will be granted under the following terms and conditions:
- The term (duration) will be determined by the Registrar at the time of issuance.
- The Sponsor of a Defined licence physician is responsible for proposing an appropriate Supervisor to the College for approval, in accordance with the College policy Approval of Supervisors for College-Directed Supervision2.
- The level of supervision is no less than Intermediate level, for a duration of no less than 3 consecutive months of regular practice5 in one location, in accordance with the College-Directed Supervision Framework – Responsibilities and Outline by Level3.
- Notwithstanding the above, supervision may be imposed at any level, including Intermediate and High level, in accordance with the College policy Supervision Levels for College-Directed Supervision4.
- Medical Practitioners Regulations
- Approval of Supervisors for College-Directed Supervision
- Currency of Practice Experience
- College-Directed Supervision Framework – Responsibilities and Outline by Level
- Supervision Levels for College-Directed Supervision
Approved By: Registration Policy Committee; Council
Approval Date: September 3, 2020; October 9, 2020
Review Date: September 2022