Commercial and Ethical Aspects of Research
Professional Standards Regarding Commercial and Ethical Aspects of Research
The College seeks to ensure that all medical research conducted by physicians is safe for patients and conducted with appropriate ethical rigour.
The College endorses the medical research approval policies of the Nova Scotia Health Authority Research and Ethics Board, the IWK Health Sciences Centre and the Dalhousie University Health Sciences Research Ethics Board.
- Physicians must only participate in medical research approved by the:
- Nova Scotia Health Authority Research Ethics Board;
- IWK Research Ethics Board; or
- Dalhousie University Health Sciences Research Ethics Board; or
- An ethics board that complies with relevant national guidelines including the Good Clinical Practice Standards and Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans.
- When recruiting or enlisting patients for a medical research study, physicians must disclose any financial interest or benefit they receive for the medical research.
- Physicians must not be listed as an author of medical research unless they played an active role in the authoring, conducting or overseeing of the medical research.
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia:
Canadian Medical Association:
Canadian Medical Protective Association:
Approved by the Council of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia: May 25, 2018
Reviewed and updated: October 12, 2018
Approximate date of next review: 2021