Late Medical Licence Renewal
In order to help physicians avoid paying late fees, the College throughout November sent email reminders to renew their medical licences and corporation permits. This resulted in over 90% of physicians successfully renewing on time.
Late Renewal will remain open online from Dec. 1st, 2018 closing end of business day Dec. 31st, 2018.
- Online annual licence and corporation permit renewal will remain open for physicians who are late renewing until end of business day Dec. 31, 2018.
To guarantee the processing of your renewal application before the expiry date of December 31st, 2018 the College must receive your medical licence renewal and your corporation permit renewal on or before end of business day December 10th, 2018.
Please renew and pay online by Monday, December 10th, 2018.
If you are late renewing please note:
Please ensure you have your credit card available as online payment of your licence and late fees will be required.The fee for your 2019 medical licence is $1,950.00.In addition, late fees now apply as follows:
- Medical Licence Renewal Late Fee: $487.50
- Corporation Permit Renewal Late Fee: $25.00
- PLUS: Following Dec. 31st, 2018 an additional $500.00 licence restoration fee will also be charged.
Late online renewal is open from December 1st to December 31st, 2018 and you will be asked to sign in using:
- Your username: this is your email currently on file with the College; and
- Your password: if you have forgotten your password, you will be prompted to reset it.
Certificate of Professional Conduct
If you have practised outside the province during 2018, you must obtain a Certificate of Professional Conduct from the jurisdiction in which you practised.
You will be asked to provide your Canadian Medical Protective Association membership number.
Continuing Professional Development
Physicians must have met the minimum annual requirements for Continuing Professional Development. As such, physicians must be either enrolled with and meet the standards of:
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada’s Maintenance of Proficiency Program (Mainpro+®); or
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada’s Maintenance of Certification Program (MOC).
We Are Here To Help
- Online renewal is not configured for the many different mobile devices. To avoid problems, we suggest you renew online using your laptop or desktop computer.
Holiday Office Closure
The College of Physicians and Surgeons will be closed for the holiday season Monday, December 24th through to Tuesday, January 1st. The office will re-open on Wednesday, January 2nd at 8am.
Medical licence and corporation permit renewal will remain open online until end of business day December 31st, 2018.
Discontinuing Your Nova Scotia Medical Licence
Frequently Asked Questions Expand All
Dates for online medical licence renewal are:
- Online renewal opens: November 1, 2018
- Late fee applied: December 1, 2018
- December 10, 2018: The College cannot guarantee renewals received after this date will be processed by the deadline December 31, 2018.
- December 31, 2018: Under the Medical Act licences not renewed on or before this date will be expired.
If you have not renewed your licence by December 31, 2018 your licence will expire.
Physicians cannot legally practise medicine under an expired licence. This also means that a physician will be at risk of losing hospital privileges and of losing payments through insurers such as MSI. To restore a licence after this date, physicians must contact the College.
2019 Licence Fees
- November 1 – November 30, 2018 inclusive: $1,950 annual licence renewal fee
- December 1 – December 31, 2018 inclusive: annual licence renewal fee + late fee = $2,437.50
- After December 31, 2018 – annual licence fee + late fee + reinstatement fee = $2,937.50
1. Please visit the College’s website at www.cpsns.ns.ca and click on Member Services in the top right corner of the screen.
2. You will then be asked to login to begin your licence renewal. Login information required:
- Username (this is your current email address on file with the College); and
- Password (if you have forgotten your password you can request a new one by following the instructions on the Member Services site)
3. On the Member Services page please select Renew Your Licence.
4. Follow the instructions for completing your licence renewal and payment of fees.
- A Save and Pay Later option enables you to save your entered information and return later to complete your renewal.
- Your entry will be saved until the online renewal process ends on December 31, 2018.
- Renewals not submitted on or before December 1, 2018 will be subject to a late fee.
- Online payment is accepted using Visa, MasterCard, Visa Debit or online banking (Scotiabank, RBC, TD and BMO). Payments will not be accepted by mail or in-person at the College offices. If your payment does not go through, please contact your banking institution directly.
If you do not have access to a computer to submit your renewal, the College can provide secure computer access and assistance at its offices between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from November 1 to December 21, 2018 (until 12-noon).
While renewals can be completed on most mobile devices, the College recommends that you complete your renewal on a computer.
1. Your email address on file with the College to:
- Receive confirmation of your online payment
- Receive confirmation that the College has received your online application
- Receive confirmation of licence renewal
2. Continuing Professional Development
If you participate in the Maintenance of Proficiency Program (Mainpro+) you will need your:
- Identification number issued by the College of Family Physicians of Canada; and
- Mainpro+ start/stop cycle dates
If you participate in Maintenance of Certification Program (MOC) you will need your:
- Identification number issued by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; and
- MOC start/stop cycle dates
3. Professional Liability Insurance
- Your policy number if insured by the Canadian Medical Protection Association (CMPA); or
- If your professional liability insurance is issued by a company licensed to carry on business in Nova Scotia, you will need to provide the name and address of the insurance company along with your policy number.
Upon approval of your application and receipt of your payment you will receive a confirmation email from the College. This email will include confirmation of renewal and your receipt.
For technical assistance, call:
During business hours
- 902-482-5825 or toll-free 1-877-282-7767 (Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. from November 1 to December 21, 2018 – until 12 noon)
- 902-482-5825 (Monday to Friday 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. from November 1 to November 30, 2018)
Yes. The renewals are two separate processes and transactions, however they can be completed one immediately after the other.
If you plan to discontinue your licence effective January 1, 2019, please notify the College in writing or by email at email@example.com before December 15, 2018.
If you are permanently or temporarily closing a practice you must comply with a number of statutory and regulatory requirements. For more information, please contact the College at: firstname.lastname@example.org.