Supervision of Physicians
Physicians issued a Defined licence in Nova Scotia are required to have oversight from both a supervisor and a sponsor for the duration of that licence. Physicians granted a Defined licence after January 1, 2015, must work towards full licensure, according to a pathway and timeline designated at the time of licensure.
The role of a supervisor is to monitor, assess, and support the supervised physician as they work towards full licensure. Supervisors play an important part in ensuring access to high-quality patient care for Nova Scotians.
The Supervision Handbook provides guidance to supervisors.
Please review the following Supervision policies and guidelines:
- Requirements and Conditions for a Defined Licence
- Supervision Levels for College-Directed Supervision
- Approval of Supervisors for College-Directed Supervision
- College-Directed Supervision Framework – Responsibilities and Outline by Level
- Guidelines for College-Directed Supervision
- Notification of Complaint to Sponsor and Supervisor