Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain
2017 Canadian Guideline for Opioids for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain (McMaster University)
- Complete Guidelines (PDF – 105 pages)
- The Canadian Medical Association Journal’s summary of the 2017 Canadian Guideline for Opioids for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain (PDF – 8 pages)
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia’s Professional Standards on Prescribing
- Professional Standard Regarding Review of Monitored Drug History Before Prescribing
- Professional Standards Regarding the Exemption to the Requirement for Direct Patient Contact When Prescribing ‘Take Home’ Naloxone
- Professional Standard on Prescribing in the Absence of Direct Patient Contact
Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
- The College Lens on Prescribing (PDF – 3 pages)
Nova Scotia Prescription Monitoring Program (NSPMP)
The Nova Scotia Prescription Monitoring Program promotes the appropriate use of monitored drugs in Nova Scotia to reduce the abuse or misuse of monitored drugs in the province.
NSPMP’s eAccess service allows prescribers and pharmacists the ability to log on to a secure website and obtain patient profile information any time.
Prescription Monitoring Regulations requires all prescribers who prescribe monitored drugs and all pharmacists and pharmacies that dispense monitored drugs, to register with the Nova Scotia Prescription Monitoring Program.