A Focus on Access to Primary Care
To support improved access to competent primary care through effective regulation.
- Nova Scotians have better access to primary care from appropriately qualified, competent physicians.
- There are no barriers to licensure for appropriately qualified and competent physicians.
- The health authorities and incoming physicians navigate easily through the licensing process.
- Licensed physicians fulfill their responsibilities to accept patients within their scope of practice.
The College will:
- ensure the health authorities and potential candidates understand our licensing requirements;
- review registration pathways to identify and remove unnecessary barriers to licensure;
- lend licensure expertise to the health authorities in physician recruitment initiatives;
- identify and implement strategies to maintain access to care when a physician’s practice is interrupted; and
- contribute to efforts to make Practice Ready Assessments available to appropriate candidates.